Sunday 17 July 2011

Creating Drafts

This morning was spent in a Japanese bookshop , Kinokinya, in the centre of Kl. It covers the whole floor of a multifloor shopping mall and is very good but not quite as good as its brother in Singapore. Although the KL onedoes have a coffee shop and seats where one can sit and read books.  I had made a list of books in Singapore but decided to buy them if I could in KL. Mostly achieved although 2 were out of stock. I have since checked on Amazon UK and they are available there.

We went shopping for barbeque ingredients for  this evening. It is  too hot to contemplate eating this afternoon. I have spent the afternoon reading, catching up with email and finally creating a few weaving drafts on Fibreworks. One is shown above. They are all 'Diversified Plain Weave' on 27 shafts and I am going to warp up on the Megado as soon as I can when home. I aim to turn these into cards for sale at our Exhibition in October/November this year. To be more exact, I am going to do the weaving and Chris Fletcher is going to turn them into cards with me helping. I have produced this flower, a 8-pointed Christmas star which will be woven in silver lurex and a Christmas tree.

If you look back at this blog, you will see that the motifs are much more obvious than above because the thick-to-thin ratio is 2:1 above whereas I was using 4:1 in th previous weaving. I think an even greater ratio would look better and am thinking of warping in 60/2 silk.

All very restful. The younger members of the family have all departed to the local swimming pool and peace reigns in the house. Tomorrow we fly to Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.