Monday 1 November 2010

Autumn is Beautiful

This autumn has a WOW factor. Driving round the Cotswolds over the last three days has been a real pleasure. But we also have pleasure in our garden. This is Sorbus Joseph Rock, about 30 foot high and glowing so much so that people stop at our gate to have a look. According to the newspapers, this is the best autumn for colour there has been for many years. Certainly the Cotswolds - and our garden - are doing very well.

















Another couple of maples strutting their stuff. Osaka Suki has been burgundy colour for weeks and I noticed today that our only maple tree, acer griseum, has leaves that are just turning from green to orange.










Yesterday was the last day at the course on Creative Development. I managed to prepare artwork for several possible warps. These two  are 36 inches long and about 14 inches wide. The warp is horizontal. In both cases, I used my Color-Aid set to select the colours. There are eight colours in the top one and five in the bottom. The final warp is composed of sections from two warps space dyed differently.


The colours don't show too well here but it is definitely much better than the one above which remains me of a brick wall. The one on the left has got some red threads in the warp as well which does lift it.

I did several other examples before this one and have refined the approach which I think will work. Now all I have to do is to carry one scheme out and see if it does work!!! One thing I have discovered is that a sheet of transparent plastic laid over the top of the artwork does give an indication of how much the colour is muted  by weaving. I think a piece of coloured organza might work better and must try that out.

Today has been spent being very domestic. Emptying compost bins, washing, putting more coats of varnish on two silk screens. I should be able to put on the last coat this evening.  Tomorrow I want to do some bookbinding - neglected for some time. I am teaching a class in Japanese-style bookbinding in less than a fortnight and need to finish the handout and make a few samples of the Delia Smith  'This is one I prepared earlier' variety. Not to mention pasting cloth to paper for the covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.