Tuesday 28 September 2010

Purple Scarf (2)

This is the resleyed purple scarf on the Louet Kombo. I added an inch worth of warp either side to make it up to 10.5 inches wide. This has toned down the colour and I like it.

The black jacket last mentioned before Christmas has had the buttonholes done, the buttons sewn on and given a good pressing. Michael took some photos but the texture pattern of the fabric is not visible and there seems no point in showing me in a black jacket when you can't appreciate the on-the-bias collar and other such details. 

I am off to Wales tomorrow for two days to look at four weaving Exhibitions  - going with Linda Scurr and Rosie Price. We have to visit a chocolate factory and a waffle factory too. So watch for lots of reviews and pictures.

Talking of reviews and pictures, I was sent a copy of the London Guild's Newsletter. It is very grand - a special edition for the  60th year of London Guild and it contains a review of my talk to them on Silk. Very flattering and with some smashing photos!!

The other decision of importance is that I am no longer going on holiday to Kuala Lumpur at the end of October. The McMillan nurse thought it was a bad idea and, when we worked out that it would take me 48 hours to get home if there was an emergency with Michael, I decided she was right.  So I am going to go on a three-day course at Broadway with Samantha Dadd. I will commute daily to Broadway - Google says it should only 50 minutes in the car. I need to talk to Samantha about what I am going to do there. More on that later. At the present moment I am at the incoherent stage. Perhaps if I write it all down, I will know what I think.

I think I am going in the wrong direction with my weaving and, instead of hopping about between techniques, I should concentrate on one technique. In particular, I am bothered about colour. This is because I know the effect I want to achieve but I don't know how to get there. With the piece for Convergence 2010, I ended up by matching every silk yarn on an RGB scale, then building those colours into Fibreworks and then selecting the colours almost individually across 1500 threads. There must be a better way!! It took a long time with  17 colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.