Friday 27 August 2010

A Day for Dyeing

We held a dyeing day today in our garage. An indigo vat was present and a lot of acid dyeing was also done. Here are some results. The two pieces of cotton on the left were done by Linda Scurr who brought the fabric along all tied up ready. I like the one second from the left which was pleated, then folded, then tied.

The yellow skeins on the right are Rosie Price's skeins dyed with Yellow Ochre acid dye to go with some lovely space dyed mohair she has. A jacket is intended.

The calico pieces in the middle are mine - more pieces for book binding. I put the rightmost piece back in the vat to get a pale blue background rather than white. It came out a fraction too dark when done but I can live with that
This is Linda standing by her dyeing and looking pleased with it. The top rail of the drying rack holds the tops dyed by Jackie Prohnert. All she has to do now is spin it all up!





















Linda dipped a number of identical skeins of wool into the indigo vat for different amounts of time. This shows the wide range of blues which are possible.













And this is a square silk scarf which I machine stitched and gathered up in pleats. It is semi-transparent and the wire rack is showing through which spoils the picture a bit.

I have got some other items dyed in indigo and also some acid dyeing. But it is all locked up in the garage drying. Tomorrow I will wash everything and by Sunday I should be warping up.

It was a great day with lots of laughter and far too much food. We had a bottle of champagne for lunch.  A lovely day.

I will keep the indigo vat and re-use it in another month or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.