Sunday 13 December 2009

Warping Up (3)

Progress is definitely happening despite setbacks. On Friday morning, I had reached 12 sections. By Saturday morning, this had risen to 21 and by Saturday night to 28 with one disaster. The small raddle on the warping wheel has a sharp edge which I have been meaning to do something about. The raddle has to be moved when the warp is finished on the wheel so that the section can be wound onto the loom. So you put a cap on the raddle and move it. For Section No 26, two threads had got caught on the sharp edge and, in my attempts to  free these at the moving stage, the raddle left the cap and fell on the floor. I was left holding on to the threads and the cap, uttering very unladylike language which was so pronounced as to bring Michael rushing into the room to see what was up. When I had calmed down and he had picked up the raddle, I decided I would try to wind this section onto the warp beam and placed the threads back in the raddle as carefully as possible - but not carefully enough as there was a multitude of snapped threads. So that section was cut offoff, thrown away and a replacement wound.

Six sections to go. The colours look great.

Oh, by the way, the sharp edges are now taped up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.