Sunday 21 January 2018

Friday was a good day

I have written about my printer and it coping with 260 gsm canvas. But there was yet more cheer on the way. I go printmaking every Friday in Bracknell. Before Christmas, I cut a new block, based on a work by Homeshaw. The idea was to see if I could copy some of his lino cutting techniques. No way is it a direct copy. It is about A4 size which is large for me. It only took a morning to cut. I halted work on it because I was unsure of what to add and decided that, in the new term, I would print off a proof and then decided what to add. Last Friday, the first proof was done on newsprint (a horrible very thin paper) and decided to print on decent paper and was very surprised at the results.


I was examining the best one when two fellow students peered over my shoulder and both said. 'Leave it alone. Don't add anything.' I was at a loss to see what to do except perhaps try some blue in the sky. So the rest of the day was spent happily printing in various colour ways. And I have decided what to do. This will be printed off next Friday. But I am still chuffed to bits at this first pass. I might even frame the one above and hang it on my wall!!

On Saturday, I drove from home to Newbury, visiting the recycling centre on the way. A couple of hours spent at the Guild's weaving study day then a two hour drive to Malvern for the bookbinders AGM, then drive home in the dark and rain with a lot of traffic on the M4. It was all too much. Today I have spent two hours dealing with the paperwork from yesterday. And now I will start binding one of my part bound books. I think there are five of them!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.