Thursday 18 August 2016

Daytrip to London

My sister, Dorothy and I went up to London for the day. We started by going to Intaglio Printmakers, a shop round the back of Tate Modern. This is staffed by experts and in  a basement. I spent very large amount of money and bought printing ink and two rollers as well as sundry other items. It is a wonderful shop but I have brought home their catalogue and now I have seen what they have and acquired small samples of some linocut papers, I can buy from them through the web.

Then we went to Tate Modern itself and `did` the current exhibition of Georgia O`Keefe. I have no idea of early stiff. The abstracts in charcoal for example and I particularly like two painting of the river in New York. We had been going to see a few other things in the exhibition halls but decided we ought to let that exhibition percolate and not spoil it. Dorothy was bowled over. After visiting the bookshop and not buying any more books on photography (but I did buy a modern beautifully illustrated Alic in Wonderland) we had lunch and set off for the Mall galleries. There is an exhibition on there till this Sunday of the Guild of Designer Craftsman and, my Goodness are they good. If I had not been weighted done with linocut stuff, I might have bought some of the ceramics. As is was I bought another Alison Dupernex cardigan! My second this year.

There was quite a bit of textile stuff including several very good weavings, the equal of anything in Convergence.
The pattern is an advancing twill and there another draft in blue silk. Cally Booker had some stuff for sale but it was badly displayed although we managed to persuade them to hang up all the scarves rather than have them folded up in a pile.

And just so you can see that we were really in London,
with St Pauls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.