Wednesday 25 May 2016

More news

I returned to hospital on Tuesday and had three doctors poking about. The result was three miffed doctors and one very cheerful patient. Nothing wrong any more. I was told that the doctors should be responsible for me getting better and I am not supposed to do it myself. No effect on the cheerfulness.

So this week I have gone back to weaving - - and gardening. I have wound half the merino warp to tie onto the Megado warp. I also finished off a multicoloured scarf on the 12 shaft Meyer and put on a new warp. This pattern has been taken from Bertha Grey Hayes recent book of miniature overshot patterns. I like overshot and how could an aerospace engineer walk away from a pattern based on bombers. I am doing a scarf in 2 ply lambs wool and it will be given as a Christmas present to the MD of my favourite engineering subcontractor.


Part of the reason for doing this warp is that I am off to St David's for school half term and we are doing islands with the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds). So expect photos of puffins and progress on the overshot.

One interesting bit of weaving is that I am going to  day course run by Complex Weavers tomorrow. I also intend to visit a shop South of the Thames to buy some Lino cutters.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the doctors have declared you have nothing wrong any more. Have fun with all the upcoming activities, but don't overdo it, just in case...

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.