Monday 20 July 2015

Madiera Day 2

D
This was dominated by Reid's summer party for which we all had to turn up in white - all quite something. Above are the dancers.


Our contribution! The food was fantastic. I never got past the starters! And there was a band, rather standard and eight dancers - fantastically good and all teenagers. And a lot of champagne. 

The next day we managed to crawl out of bed and take a taxi to the Botanical Garden. Like everywhere else here, it is on a steep slope, so we started at the top and wound our way down, taking in the cafe on the way.




You would not have thought the gardeners could find enough flat space for a glorious parterre!

The Santa Maria de Columbus returning to harbour after a day at sea. This is a complete replica of his ship. Except that in addition to sails it has an engine!

Late in the evening we sat on the hotel terrace looking out to the darkening sea and drank. -- Madiera of course.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.