Thursday 26 February 2015

Dance

I have never been keen on ballets like Giselle or Swan Lake, all tutus and languishing. But in the 1970s, Michael and I used to attend the Edinburgh Festival. My parents lived there and were only too happy to look after our daughters. And once we attended a performance of jazz ballet which was an eye opener. Roll on several decades to Malvern where the Theatre Complex has modern dance performances surprisingly often. And last night was the annual treat - the Richard Alston Dance Company. The arena was packed. You need to buy tickets as soon as booking opens which is two or three months in advance. The audience is a real cross-section from 9 to 90 and both sexes. And very enthusiastic. Mind you - justified.  So a real treat.
 
And I kept wondering about a length of silk with red streaks everywhere. And the Children of Lir got more detail. Double cloth is silk. Once layer white tabby, the other dark grey/blue undulating twill. Or should it be 4CDW in white and grey/blue? It's coming. I cannot see it yet but it is just round the corner. What I need now is a long train journey.
 
I have decided that the jerkin needs dark grey corduroy and have sent for some. And in the meantime, I have buckled down and started tying on the worsted warp to the ghost warp. It will take some time as there are 2200 threads I have to stand, slightly bent over to do it. So it is 30 minutes tying and 30 minutes doing something else. I will be lucky to be finished by Sunday.

While talking about dance, does any American reader of this blog know of an American Dance Company that does the Aaron Copeland Ballets? I would go to a lot of trouble to see a performance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.