Thursday 2 January 2014

Back at Lulworth Cove

We were smitten with Lulworth Cove and returned there today. The sun shone and I made it to the top of the local coastal path albeit with a few stops on the way. After that we had a picnic on the beach. But then the weather had changed and it was raining. So the day ended with yet more rain. The forecast is terrible and  an emergency alert has been issued. Anne has just checked and we are going to a pantomime at Bournemouth tomorrow. Only the theatre is at the end of the pier. Gives a whole new meaning to Dame Wishy-Washy - it is Aladdin after all. There are forecast to be thirty foot waves.

I have been remiss reciting my dealing with the Open University. I started a course on Listening to Music in October. Not my kind of thing at all. I do not need telling over two or three weeks that different orchestras and conductors make the same piece of music sound different. So I abandoned them. I have just finished reading John Eliot Gardiner's book on Bach which is much more my kind of thing. Really first rate. But it did make me realise that Michael was not interested in Bach. All the CDs we have were bought by me. What Michael liked was chamber music, especially quartets and especially Haydn and Mozart. Which accounts in a way for him playing the viol in quartets and quintets.

Anyway I spent the very wet afternoon, tracking down what Radio 3 Building a CD Library had to say about different versions of Bach's Passions and making notes. I spent a lot of time listening on the iPad      to various versions. A happy time. Next week will be spent weaving on the Megado to meet the Convergence deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.