Thursday 22 September 2011

More Motifs

Here are two more motifs for cards in Diversified Plain Weave. The stars are woven with 2 metallic threads in the weft and produce a nice glittery effect which does not show up in the photo.

I have now done enough to keep us happy on Monday when I go to watch Chris Fletcher turn them into cards!! Depending on what she says, I may weave some more motifs after the napkins are finished.


I am using up Guild yarn for the cards which was left over from our Colour Gamp exercise and still have quite a bit left, probably as much as I have used already.

Last night I checked over the draft for the napkins and we are ready to go!








The dyed fabric on the left is Procion MX dyed and was based on a photo of coral for the Bourneville class where the Theme for this autumn session is the Sea. I used various sizes of press studs in shibori and ended up with a knobbly piece of cotton. I tried to twist the fabric as I tied it up.  The cotton was soaked in soda water and then the tops of the knobbly bits painted red. I turned the fabric over and painted the back dark blue  -  a mixture of blue and a bit of black. It was left for 24 hours, in the garage wrapped up in plastic. It was very dark when finished although, after rinsing, it was less so. I let that dry completely and then unpicked all the stitching and washed it in Woolite - yet more dye came out but the rinsing water ran clear in the end. This is the final fabric dry but not ironed. 

I can only see one problem with it - what do I do with it now? I hope the Bourneville class will have some suggestions tomorrow. I am not at all keen on yet another piece of something to put on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.