Monday 18 October 2010

Colour Percentages

With a lot of help from East Coast USA (Bonnie Inouye), and Silicon Vally (Tien Chiu), I have a got a pretty accurate method of producing colour percentages using Photoshop. It is a bit lengthy and not going to be of much interest to most people but, if anyone wants the method, I will put it in a pdf file for them. But I am very pleased and now have to decide what to do with this information. I was thinking of a space dyed warp but what about the weft. A plain neutral grey and up the brightness of every thing else? Space dye the weft in the same colour percentages on the grounds that I am producing pixels in weaving?

This has been Rabbit's Busy Day. It started by being Michael's birthday, went on to the builder coming round at 0830 am and rubbishing all my ideas, included a birthday lunch with family here, a man coming round to mend Michael's hoist and ended up with a rapid exchange of emails re Photoshop and colour percentages across the Atlantic.

It also included my grand-daughter, Maddie, helping me out with work round the house. She made up 48 packs of board and paper for the course on Japanese-style bookbinding. There will be 12 students and they ought to get 2 books made in the time available but I want to give them  choice in what kind of paper they use and I have four sorts - giving 48 packs. The four sorts are cartridge paper, sketch pad paper (140 gsm) and watercolour paper (160 gsm) as well as Khadi handmade paper. We looked out patterned and plain paper for covers and paper-backed fabric as well. Then looked out more fabric to be paper backed by me over the next weeks for the students. Then we turned out the upstairs work room and even found enough bare carpet at the end to hoover. So much rejoicing. I have turned out a lot of yarn which I will take to the next Guild meeting. I have so much stash that I ought never to buy any more yarn.

The builder came to do something about the door to Michael's room. It is very difficult for Michael to get his wheelchair into that room without a helper. There is not quite enough room by about 20 mm so I thought Mr Darke could plane the excess off. He pointed out all the defects in that, like the architrave is actually nailed on and how could he plane through that? So I asked if we could have a wider door and yes we can, 2ft 9 as against the current 2 foot 6 inches.  Needless to say the panelled door has to be a special and so we will have to wait for it. But he thinks less than 2 weeks. I am so pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

I am weaver and - -. I dye my yarns with acid dyes, I paint my warps, put fabric collages and stencils on my weaving. I have three looms, a 12 inch wide, 12 shaft Meyer for demos and courses, a 30 inch Louet Kombo which is nominally portable but has a stand, two extra beams and a home-made device containing a fan reed. And last a 32 shaft Louet Megado which is computer controlled, has a sectional warp and a second warp beam and I am the proud owner of an AVL warping wheel which I love to bits and started by drilling holes in. I inserted a device for putting a cross in. I have just acquired an inkle loom and had a lesson from an expert so I can watch TV and weave at the same time. I am interested in weaving with silk mostly 60/2 although I do quite a bit with 90/2 silk. I also count myself as a bookbinder with a special interest in Coptic binding.